Oral hyposensitising treatment for Nickel
Nickel is contained in many objects that may come into contact with the skin: metal clothing accessories, glass frames, bijouterie, coins, keys, tableware and others.
Nickel is also contained in most foods of plant origin. In particular, those with the highest content are nuts, chocolate, tomatoes and legumes.
Nickel can cause both eczematous skin manifestations such as Allergic Contact Dermatitis (ACD) and clinical pictures with systemic involvement, such as urticaria, angioedema, erythema, gastrointestinal disorders, called Systemic Nickel Allergy Syndrome (SNAS).
Systemic Nickel Allergy Syndrome (SNAS)
The clinical picture of SNAS is characterised by the appearance of symptoms affecting the skin (with exacerbation of previous contact eczema or the appearance of new eczema in areas not in contact with the metal, flare-ups of previous positive nickel patch test reactions, urticaria sometimes associated with angio-oedema) and the gastrointestinal tract (with meteorism, dyspepsia, colic, vomiting and/or diarrhoea and gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms) when high-nickel content food is ingested.
If the nickel allergy seriously affects life quality, oral hyposensitising treatment can be used, which can facilitate a gradual reintroduction of nickel-containing foods.